Another Friday. Hard to believe. The weeks come and go so quickly, but my search for inspiration is constant. I realize the things we see everyday inspire us in some way, and the internet has definitely helped most of us who are obsessed with beautiful things and search them out. For the past few months I have been lusting over all the products from Marimekko, as they create the most wonderful modern designs. I’m so drawn to them. Their fabrics are so simple and beautiful. Nothing changes a space like fabric, texture and color. The graphics definitely inspired my recent flower pot project.
Unfortunately, these products are currently not in my budget, as too many things have to be done to this house. I try to keep everything in perspective. I WILL one day have some but for now there are other options… and when you least expect it they find you. (or you find them, whichever!)
Pretty darn close, right? I went a little crazy at the fabric store, as each of these fabrics just screamed “TAKE ME HOME”. So I couldn’t let them down. They needed to be made into something that will bring me joy in my home. They will definitely satisfy my desire for beautiful Marimekko… for now.
I have plans to make fun pillow cases for the bed and some table linens. I love the placemats that can be used as runners and then turned to be used as place mats for 2. They’ll be so pretty on the table. I also like the idea of using them as wall art.
Hopefully this will be something I can do this weekend. I’m feeling inspired, and I’m really happy Richie is off for the summer. That’s when real progress happens at this house. AND THAT’S GOODE!
I have three pots that Richie found at various estate sales that he paid nothing for and although I love how old and beat up they look I thought I’d have some fun with one. I’ve been tripping over this pot (literally) and needed to fill it with something. I finally found one of my all time favorite plants at the nursery and it just seemed like a match. The old boring pot got a face life with a paint pen and a wobbly hand. Hey, the more imperfect, the better. I think.
The plant is called Angelonia and if you’ve never owned one…. GET ONE! They love the sun and bloom pretty purple flowers all the way up until the first real hard freeze. I haven’t had much luck with them in the ground but when grown in a pot they come back year after year and produce these purple blooms NON-STOP! Love them.
The great part is that doodling on this pot only inspired other ideas. It’s endless with me. Now go out and get you some Angelonia and a paint pen. (laughing)
SUNBURST MIRROR -
I vote for a 4 day work week EVERY week. How ’bout you? Richie and I had such a productive three days. I feel like we had forgotten how to relax and do things we use to do. We’ve been in such a “panic-gotta-get-this-house-done mode, that we really haven’t been all that creative. We need that. It keeps us happy. So, with that being said, I decided to do a project that has been in my head (and the supplies in a bag) for about 3 weeks now …. a Sunburst Mirror. I’ve seen them in stores sell for hundreds but they’re really big. I thought it would be more fun to make one, than to buy one. And I could make it the size I want. Here it goes.
I made my way out to the shed where there is lots of fabulous “junk”, to search for something to frame my center mirror. As I was searching through old coffee cans, I turned around and saw this…..
It’s a handmade tile by the architect of this house, who was very creative and worked in this space to make pottery and tiles. This was all needed to see to motivate me!
I found this part to the front of an old stove and thought it would be perfect for my center piece. It’s seen better days. Nothing a little scotchbrite pad won’t take care of.
Look how it shines, now. I loved the little white dots around the ring (for temperatures on the stove).
Using little mirrors, my stove piece, and some bamboo skewers, I was on my way. After I painted the skewers silver, I used a small circular piece of wood to glue the sticks to it, then glued my mirror into the stove part. It framed it nicely. Perfect fit.
Then came the little mirrors that were placed randomly and glued to the skewers. Another small wood circle was painted silver and two small holes were drilled in the back so I could feed a small piece of wire through to the hang the mirror.
Once everything was good and dry, I cleaned all my little fingerprints off the mirror and hung it in the guest bedroom. MORE PICTURES of the finished mirror …..
CLICK HERE FOR MORE PICTURES
Finish Guest Bedroom Door
That darn door just wouldn’t go back up after I finished painting it. There were gaps around the door and it wouldn’t shut all the way, as it was TOO tight at the hinged side. Again, old house, old door, new plan.
The picture shows the door closed and the stop off. See how far away the edge of the stop was from the door. Huge GAP! (the tip of my finger)
We then installed a new doorknob so we could shut the door and put the stops back on so they would fit closer to the door. A much better fit, indeed.
Just a little touch up paint and the door was done. Opens and shuts like it was new. :-) It wasn’t that bad, really. Just about everything in this house is like that. You THINK it will go a certain way and you always have to tweak or change something. It’s all about “workin’ it out”. (sigh)