As August pushes it’s way through..(way too quickly)…I’m trying to wrap up projects like the bedroom closet. When we rebuilt the closet I left the doors as they were with the intention to refinish them. It was the last major project on my master bedroom list. Glad to say they’re finally finished. Wheewwww!!!!
The first order of business was to order up the special laminated shoji screen paper and tape required. These special papers are amazing because they’re very thick and then they’re laminated to keep them clean, strong, and very easy to work with.
As usual this project has taken on a life of it’s own. Much like every project we take on.
I thought it would be so good to go back and look at where we started, as it always makes me feel better about taking so damn long. When we bought this house the master bedroom closet looked like this…..
Lovely, isn’t it?! The curtained area to the right is the closet. Pull those curtains back and it’s pretty much an unfinished mess. I knew we would have to completely tear it apart and rebuild it. You know you would too!!! This was just YUCKY! (sorry no pictures of the inside)
Yes, it’s magic! Finished in a snap. Don’t you just love blogs! (who’s kidding who… this took forever) But yes, big improvement!
The doors that would replace the old curtain were found at an estate sale about 8 years ago (maybe more… who’s keeps track!) We found 5 shoji screen doors for $5 each and couldn’t pass them up. We had no idea what we would do with them so we hinged a couple together and used them in our old house for a while. (see them behind our couch…… years ago)
We got sick of them (they were huge) so we wrapped all 5 of them up and stored them in our attic for the next 8 years. When we moved into this house we knew they would be perfect for both my closet and the closet in the guest bedroom. It also meant we didn’t have to buy anything. YAY for repurposing! Richie cut the bottoms of the doors off and reattached the frames. They were a prefect fit… unfortunately their condition was really poor. The wood needed refinishing and all the paper had to be replaced. So I got to work.
I carefully removed the “grid” insert from the door so I could tear out the paper.
All the wood… (yes, every little tiny square!) was sanded smooth and even.
After the door and the grid insert were all sanded (damn, it was a pain!)
I decided to use a rub on polyurethane, as the parts are so small I didn’t want a lot of drips or built up areas in the corners. If you’ve never used a rub on, it’s great and so easy. It’s best for small jobs, detailed furniture, stair banisters, etc. It dries super fast, too!
Once the finish was dry I began applying the special double sided tape made especially for shoji screens. They fit perfectly on all the thin pieces of the frame.
The new paper was pressed back into the door and the newly refinished grid insert was tacked back on top. So many freakin’ steps!!! But it looks so much better.
I did this for 3 doors. Once I was done Richie says… “it doesn’t look any different”.
Okay, at this point I could either cry, beat him to a bloody pulp or just hang them in delight and move on. I decided to proceed with all three. And all three felt amazing! (laughing)
Of course I had to disagree with sweet husband who makes me crazy, because clearly they don’t look the same.
(left-new, right-old). The anal retentive in me could not leave them as they were.
So here they are all hung and looking fresh and new. I’m satisfied and I guess that’s all that matters. After Richie recovered from his wife beating he agreed… they looked better!
We also got our new TV for the media cabinet in the living room, which allowed us to move the old (much smaller) one to the bedroom. We got it all hung up with a nice wall mount stand.
I told Richie I was beginning to feel like we were turning our bedroom into a resort hotel room with the new king bed and the wall mount TV. I have never used a wall mount for a TV before and I have to say “it’s so cool”! Has anyone else used one? It’s nice to have it up and out of the way. It extends and swivels. ROOM SERVICE PLEASE!
It’s a 36 inch but it looks so tiny on the wall. I’m diggin’ it!
We’ll eventually hide all the wires in the groove of that beam that runs down the wall and then cap it so you won’t see it. We ran the cable so it comes out of the wall right behind the TV. A plan we made 3 years ago for this room… and it finally came together. If we’re anything… we’re patient! Three cheers for progress!!
Okay, I know that was a very long post but I’ve found that I’m doing fewer posts (which gives everyone a break!) but they are a little longer… (sigh) ……..
Hope everyone had a good weekend! We’re also still working on painting the back of the house and it’s looking so good. Can’t wait to share that in the coming weeks. The search for a new mattress is still on… hope to wrap that up soon too. Thanks to CT over at Living Analog, as we are challenging and encouraging each other to finish projects X,Y, and Z by the end of August. So far so good! We’re both kickin’ ass and burning incense!!
Have a good week… and thanks for reading!